Hello new developer here

Hey everyone i am new to solana and had a few questions regarding the wallet tutorial, would love any help i could get if there is anyone willing to explain a few things.

Hi @jbgunner24 and welcome to the forum! :wave:

I’d be glad to answer any questions you have.

1 Like

Thank you. i am currently going throught the wallet tutorial on learn.figment.io. it is going over how to set up a wallet using command line. In the step2 of the tutorial they somehow connected the online wallet to an ide. if you could help explain to me how they got to that part that would be great. also what is the best way to learn how to create and develop around sol. is there a specific course or website that you would recommend. any help would be appreciated. thanks

I’ll have to check out the figment tutorial as soon as I get the chance to see what they did.

Honestly, there aren’t a lot of beginner-ready docs that I know of for getting started with Solana. I’ve wanted to create a Solana learning website, as I’ve got a pretty good idea of how a lot of it works now, but I haven’t yet gotten the time.

If you have questions I can do my best to respond here on the forum. I like helping people learn how things work and Solana is really exciting.

Okay. I know a couple languages and I’m open to leaning new ones. I will also continue doing my research but which area would you recommend I focus in order to get a better understanding of Blockchain development. Ex wallets? Dapps? Smart contracts?.

For understanding Solana development, probably focus on how smart contracts and the Solana data model such as accounts, and rent, etc. work.

There actually is some good docs on that here: Overview | Solana Docs.

Then it’s good to know that there’s kind of two different ways to start writing Solana smart contracts right now: there’s the raw Solana way, and then there’s the Anchor framework way.

With raw Solana you have to have a good understanding of how transactions in Solana work, and you’re going to be encoding and decoding your transaction instructions somewhat manually.

With the Anchor framework, they try to take a more declarative approach where you can create Rust structs and functions to represent different transactions without as much work and without having to understand as much under-the-hood. Anchor makes the developer experience much nicer.

I started out using Anchor, but I ran into errors. I didn’t know why and there wasn’t a lot of documentation on Anchor so I switched to using Solana raw and I learned a lot from it. It’s good to know how to write smart contracts without Anchor, so that you learn Solana works without it.

Then I realized that Anchor does have some great features and is probably the way that I should be writing smart contracts in the future. I noticed that a lot of respectable projects such as https://saber.so/ are written with Anchor, and Anchor is also solving for important things like reproducible builds that can be verified so you can validate the on-chain program is associated to the exact Rust code you think it is.

In short, Anchor seems to be developing great tooling and is probably going to be the future recommended way to write smart contracts for Solana, but knowing how to write contracts without Anchor is probably important, especially as Anchor is still under heavy development.

Since there still aren’t a lot of docs, when I was first figuring all this out I looked a lot at the Solana Program Library source code. It’s good code to read to understand how Solana contracts work. I think the Token Program source is probably a good reference with relatively simple code but showing off a lot of crucial Solana functionality. Still, there’s a lot to it so just reading the source might not be useful when getting started, except for looking at how specific things are done.

What might be a useful reference is my own demo project smart contract that I wrote without Anchor. It’s my first Solana contract and shows how you might create an app that allows users to create and register meetings like a meeting scheduling app.

In the last few months I’ve really learned a lot about Solana and I’ve found the answers to a lot of confusing things from wallets to smart contracts so just ask if you are confused about things. It helps me learn to answer people’s questions so we both get some benefit from it. :slight_smile:

I also saw you offer to help a new user on the forum so thanks! I’m actually the only person really answering people’s questions on the forum, but I really believe the forum can be incredibly useful to the community. I’m doing my best to help and hopefully we can draw more users and helpers here to make it more useful.

Finally, another suggestion for learning about blockchain in general is possibly to start using it! It helps fix things in your mind when you use them. I’ve been trying to learn about Defi recently and started investing in liquidity farms and using decentralized exchanges, etc.

Granted, that’s just if that’s what you want to find out more about, but it can help to see how other people build there projects when you are wanting to build your own.

If you want to get into Defi, in Solana I’d start with https://www.orca.so/ which is really easy to use, has a nice interface and a friendly community, and was a great start for me when I got into Solana.

And I’ll try to check out the figment tutorial when I get the chance, so I can see what’s going on there.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your help. I will try to learn raw solana first and then see how that goes. I also believe that helping answering questions is the best way to learn and i plan on doing it more as my knowledge grows. thanks for taking your time to answer my questions. i will make sure to ask more questions if i have any.

1 Like