How to Sponsor and Promote Solana Learning Materials and Community Help?

Hey everybody!

I’m creating this topic to discuss ways that we might be able to help boost Solana learning material and community help. This has sort of come up a few times in the last day:

I feel like there is opportunity for extending Solana’s docs / learning material ( not that the existing ones aren’t awesome ) to cover some more topics maybe. Maybe we could make a community docs site ( something I have some experience with ) or blog or tutorial site with Solana guides. Maybe with a convenient way to tip the authors of the pages to help compensate them for their time providing guides.

I’m trying to find out if there is a way I can start using my Solana learning experiences to start getting payed / tipped in crypto so I can continue spending time helping people learn how to do stuff, but I’m not sure what the best way to do it is. I’m one of the few people on the forum here actively answering questions, but it’s taking more time and I’m not getting paid for it, so I’m trying to find out if there’s a way to make it easier for users to give voluntary tips for the time that people spend providing help. This could be useful for me, to keep me able to help here, but also could be motivation for other people to help too, who would not be able to put the time in to help otherwise.

To a certain extent, I can justify some of the amount of time I spend here on the forum with the fact that I actually learn a lot from helping people with their problems. If it’s something new to me, I can usually investigate and learn something trying to solve somebody else’s problem. But this is taking a lot of time, and I may not be able to continue investing this time with work, life, etc. competing for my time.

I wanted to open the discussion with the community to collect ideas about how we might be able to help the situation. We’d all love for there to be better and better learning resources and help available for the Solana ecosystem, but we’ve also got to somehow accomplish the work to do it.

Here are some ideas to get started:

• Create a community blog site and maybe:
    • integrate with LikeCoin
    • Add the ability to connect your wallet to the site to easily tip authors
  • Create an answers/forum site where users can post questions, but also chose to add a reward for answering the question
    • Maybe this could be a Discourse plugin?

I’m not sure what the best options are, and I still want to do investigation into things like LikeCoin and see if that’s a good option, or what other things we might be able to integrate with to provide ways of supporting authors and helpers.

I’m not sure if anything will come of this discussion or not, but there are my thoughts, and I’d be curious to hear yours!

1 Like

Someone who are developer of solana, should create a video lecture on udemy. everybody buy and win win situation. i think this is the best option.

1 Like

That might be a good idea. I’ll check out Udemy and see what i’s like.

Edit: Well, Udemy looks pretty cool. If I find time to create a full video course I might do that, but I’d also need to figure out what exactly to make the course about.

For instance:

• How to get started using Solana?
  • How to run a Solana Validator?
  • How Solana works under-the-hood ( security, algorithms, etc. )

What do people want to learn about Solana?

I think, for now, I’m not ready to create a full Udemy course, but if I get a successful course written out then I could consider doing a good video course on Udemy to match.

I think I’m going to start work on a crypto learning site, that won’t be specific to Solana, but Solana will probably be the first topics. I’ll integrate LikeCoin and a way to connect your wallet to tip the authors of posts and start with that.

I’ll make the site source public on GitHub so that anybody can submit pull requests for posts that they want to make, subject to the scrutiny of, for now, myself, and eventually it could be a community of people who oversee the content that goes on the site in order to make sure the site content is high-quality.

I think that’s a good start, and we can branch out from there if it’s successful.

Just have to get that initial site setup.

I think I’ll use VuePress for the site generator, because I have extensive experience with Vue and that will make it eaiser to add nice features such as the wallet connect button I think.

We can use this forum to allow people to request courses for the authors to make. Maybe we could even crowd fund the creation of courses eventually.

Hello. The very first thing to do is to create a multi forum. The only one “General” argument is too poor. In Cardano there is a big family arguments better divided. Developers, students, tutorials …

1 Like

That’s a great idea. I think I’m going to get on Discord sometime and ask if I can be made a forum admin so I can do stuff like that. Hopefully the contributions I’ve made so far are enough to qualify me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think so. For example my same issue was in a Cardano Forum discussion named: “Developers - Assets”

My IRL identity has extensive experience with OSS documentation. A community blog is yet another platform to maintain, and detracting attention from the main docs. What I suggest instead:

1. Whenever possible, contribute to the source of truth - the GitHub repo:
  1. Discourse already has excellent markdown-based wiki features. Tons of guides have been written than way. Discourse is maintained here, and official.

Add the ability to connect your wallet to the site to easily tip authors

Can this be a link that the author can add to their Discourse profile, or as a “signature” at the bottom?

Create an answers/forum site where users can post questions, but also chose to add a reward for answering the question

That’s an interesting idea, but hard to get right. StaockOverflow managed to get it very right over the course of ~10 years, while https://ask.libreoffice.org/ is pretty janky by comparison. See if there are OSS SO clones that could have this feature added to them.

Maybe this could be a Discourse plugin?

There’s a Patreon plugin.

There’s also this active discussion on Discourse:

Yeah, I added my wallet addresses to my profile page, but I don’t think anybody really sees it.

I’d have to check whether Discord supports a signature plugin/setting or not. Signatures that are always visible are kind of annoying, though. It would be nice if there was a simple icon next to their username.

Which brings us to having a plugin:

Another issue is that I believe that Solana uses a hosted Discourse which means we can’t add any plugins not in the officially supported plugin list. Running Discourse on our own server would be an extra/different cost and include an administrative burden which the Solana foundation would probably rather avoid, especially because the forum seems to be almost un-touched by Solana foundation members or developers ( at least since I’ve joined ).

Yeah, I think that’s definitely more of a future goal, as it would require a well done web-application that probably doesn’t already exist in quite the form we need. ( But I’d have to look around some more. )

Yes, that’s true. I guess discourse wiki’s just tend to bug me a little bit from a stylistic/organization preference. They tend to feel kind of, well, like a forum to me. The navigation mechanism of the Discourse docs for instance feels very busy, with everything being organized by tags instead of having a clearly defined sidebar or something with structured and ordered posts to help you go meaningfully from one page to the next. That’s not necessarily a strong reason not to use it, though.

I think a better reason not to use a Discourse wiki is that, as far as I know, it would be either editable by everybody, like a wiki, or it would only be editable by admins. Having the site source on GitHub allows anybody to contribute, but only if their specific change get’s approved, which is better for security, especially on a forum we get so many scammers.

Yeah, that would be good, but I wasn’t exactly sure if a lot of the kinds of guides I wanted to write fit well into the Solana docs. A lot of the information I want to go over is actually in the docs already, it just isn’t organized or explained in a way that is easy for the casual reader or newcomer to understand. It’s a little bit of an audience difference I think. The docs go over a lot of deeper concepts of Solana in a way that seems more target to experienced developers than brand-new Web3 programmers.

This combined with the want to be able to add blog entries to the site as well as more doc-like pages makes it seem like a separate site might be worth it.

Finally, I feel like the crypto ecosystem as a whole could use a good website to explain certain things, that don’t necessarily apply only to Solana. Like how you can have multiple wallet addresses for one seed phrase, or how to avoid getting scammed, or the fact that you can’t get your money back if somebody steals it, all of which are not Solana specific. It would be nice to have a site that isn’t just for Solana, but could help demystify cryptocurrencies, explaining different blockchains and their features and benefits.

I suppose what I’m wanting to create isn’t just better Solana docs, but a collection of resources to satisfy the need that I feel being new to crypto along with the needs I see here in the Solana forum, and that is where a lot of the motivation for a different site comes from.

Not that I wouldn’t be totally fine if the Solana folks decided that the docs on this site were reasonable to fit into the existing Solana documentation.

PS: Sorry that turned out so long. :thinking: That was an accident. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Why be sorry, you brought up excellent points.

I’m also bugged by the lack of official involvement in this forum, and while Discord may be more “convenient”, that’s not an excuse to ignore the forum. Any open source project of Solana’s size should pay at least one Developer Advocate, whose job would be to engage with the community, and field the sorts of questions that we’ve brought up. The Breakpoint conference bragged about attracting hundreds of developers at the hackathon. Where are they?

Once you install Discourse, it rarely needs any maintenance. Maybe an update once or twice a month. Definitely something a Developer Advocate can do.

But doesn’t the foundation have enough money to pay for Discourse services? Plans start at $100/month and I bet they do custom development.

Having the site source on GitHub allows anybody to contribute, but only if their specific change get’s approved, which is better for security, especially on a forum we get so many scammers.

Agree. Just please don’t use Gitbook. It generate horrible markup. https://docusaurus.io/ is much nicer.

A lot of the information I want to go over is actually in the docs already, it just isn’t organized or explained in a way that is easy for the casual reader or newcomer to understand. It’s a little bit of an audience difference I think.

Good project documentation is indeed of four different types.

Finally, I feel like the crypto ecosystem as a whole could use a good website to explain certain things, that don’t necessarily apply only to Solana. Like how you can have multiple wallet addresses for one seed phrase, or how to avoid getting scammed, or the fact that you can’t get your money back if somebody steals it, all of which are not Solana specific.

Fully agree, and I’m sure there’s got to be something like that out there, though probably way under-marketed. The Bitcoin Wiki would be a good start, given that Bitcoin was the first crypto. Registration requires payment, which reduces spam, but it lacks a GitHub-style PR review process.

Never saw it until now :slight_smile: You’d probably want to copy/paste a snippet/signature below your answers, but I agree that integrating a tips plugin would be the way to go.

1 Like

I was thinking of using Vuepress:

https://v2.vuepress.vuejs.org/

But I’m not necessarily 100% settled on it. I’ll check out Docusaurus too.

Ooh, I like the diagram. :slight_smile:

Yeah, it honestly seems a little strange that the forum seems kind of abandoned. I’m going to be trying to apply for the Solana Collective as soon as I can, today I’m going to try to record the self-intro video that they want as part of the application.

I’m going to try to apply for admin on the forum too, and that might at least make my involvement more “official”, but I’m still not often able to get on Discord so I’m not sure if I’ll be able to act as a true proxy/advocate for the Solana devs or not.

1 Like