Restoring Wallet on Trust Wallet goes to a different public address

Hi all,

My first post here. I have installed the Phantom App & created a new wallet. I’ve deposited SOL into this wallet and I can clearely see the balance in the Phantom App in my Chrome Extension.

On Mobile, I usually use the Trust Wallet. I have used the recovery process to recover the above Wallet through the seed phrase, nonetheless it shows the balance as ZERO and the public address corresponding to this wallet is also different from the public address in the Phantom Chrome App.

Questions:

1. Why does this happen?
  2. What am I doing wrong?
  3. How to fix this? :slight_smile:

PS: I’m pretty sure I’ve used the correct seed recovery phase.

Thanks!

Hi @mh1 and welcome to the forum! :wave:

When converting a seed phrase to a wallet address, crypto wallets use what is called a derivation path to determine exactly how to create the wallet address.

These derivation paths are pretty standardized per blockchain, but it could still be that your trust wallet is using a different derivation path than Phantom.

For instance, Phantom’s default derivation path looks like m/44'/501'/0'/0', but Trust Wallet might have a different default derivation path.

When importing your seed phrase into your Trust Wallet, try to see if there are any options and look for “path” or “derivation path” or something like that. It might be in like some “advanced” dropdown or something similar.

If there is an option, try to see if it will let you select or enter m/44'/501'/0'/0'.

If that doesn’t work, we might still be able to fix it, but check that first.

1 Like

Thank you for the welcoming @zicklag and for the feedback.

I have checked the Trust Wallet app and it doesn’t have any options to change the derivation path.
Would you recommend using a different mobile wallet? If yes, which one?

Thanks.

I haven’t installed any mobile wallets yet, so I don’t have any good guidance for that unfortunately.

I’m still a little confused why trust wallet would have used a different derivation path, as its rather standardized which one should be used for each blockchain, so I would recommend trying the seed phrase one more time, just to make sure it wasn’t a mistake there.

If that doesn’t work, just be very careful before you install any other mobile apps. For instance, there are fake Sollet and Solflare apps, when Sollet ( and I don’t think Solflare either ) doesn’t have a mobile app . Don’t use those!

If you install an app, make sure that a website that you trust pointed you to that specific app store link. Maybe check reviews, too. Anything just be more sure that you’ve got the right one.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback @zicklag
Indeed, It seems that more people have the same issue with Trust Wallet Derivation Paths: Reddit Thread.

I think I’ll skip and won’t install any app to manage it on the phone. Will use only Phantom on the browser and should be good to go :slight_smile:

1 Like