Sent SOL to wrong address

Hi all,

I was withdrawing 6.9 SOL from my FTX account into my personal wallet and I didn’t double check the wallet address, so the address is off by 1 number. I figured the transaction wouldn’t go through if the address is invalid. However, on FTX the transaction says “completed”. I already contacted FTX help desk and explained my situation; however, when I check the status transaction I am brought to solscan.io. The account (or the wallet address that I typed incorrectly) holds the 6.9 SOL that I sent. I’m still new to this all, and I know I’m a total idiot for not copying/pasting the address, but is there anything I can do to secure my funds?

Thanks,

Skylar

1 Like

I think you sol is already gone, you have to forget it,

I joined just to tell you I did the exact same thing with the FTX app I’m really pissed off that stupid address word wraps the last letter and I left the last letter off. The weird thing is the destination address isnt even a valid wallet but solflare wallet accepted it, and there my crypto sits. I lost over 30 for the exact same error. Why cant blockchains be fixed to allow non-valid addresses to get pushed back to their original owners if the address hasnt “registered” yet or give a warning OR let me go register that address and retrieve my crypto. Really disappointed at the lack of support.

2 Likes

Yes it’s so frustrating because if my wallet address is a unique sequence of digits and one key is wrong why is the transaction going through? Shouldnt the sender and receiver have to have valid addresses for a transaction to go through. And then I see the sol I sent and it’s just sitting collecting dust while the coin doubles in price lmao ridiculous. Crazy how someone couldn’t help us

I lost 22sol to this so i totally feel your pain and i bought those at 25 strike so we are talking 1700$ at todays prices. It seems to me that they could run a update that pushes back $ to wallets that sent sol to an invalid address but for some reason 0 is acceptable as an end character. FTX was useless and the Solana devs haven’t responded.

Hey guys,

When you create a new wallet an address is randomly generated, this is done offline and it doesn’t even need to connect back to Solana.

When tokens are sent to an address that is new, it is essentially then created on Solana, that’s when Solana learns the address is in use.

So if you send SOL to an address not in use yet, Solana won’t give you an error because it simply could be a new wallet, pretty much every crypto works this way, it’s unforgiving but very efficient.

I’m sorry you lost your SOL, it is undoubtedly unrecoverable.

1 Like

I did same but someone helped me recover it so it is possible for you to recover it

Isn’t there a checksum built into the Solana address? I know there is one in the Ethereum address. A checksum should prevent an off by 1 error if the exchange implemented the movement of Solana correctly. But yeah, this is a bummer of a situation. There really is no way to fix this issue, unless the exchange wants to compensate your loss (which is unlikely), or if the Solana dev’s choose to rewrite the transaction (better chance of getting struck by lightening). Live and learn.

I think unless you can find the private key of this wallet address

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Hello @tcx @skylar @kindboy @Captainplanet @iHOLDdoYou

@Marc_dentea is promoting a fake help forum with fake ticket ID’s.

The best place for support is here, but always DOUBLE check any link

Solana Discord Invite

Remember, there are scammers waiting for you there …

Scammers will seek you out so NEVER reply to a direct message, keep all comments on the forum, okay?

A like for this post would be appreciated … :heart_decoration:

3 Likes

Marc definitely sounds like a scammer. Everyone please click the three dots on Marc_dentea’s post and click the flag button to report.

2 Likes

Who helped you recover it?