Solana Validator Help

I am starting a devnet validator. I am a total newbie. I followed some online tutorials but I have no idea what I am doing. Anyone can help with my questions here ? First one: how do I know if my validator is running?

1 Like

Hi @woldo5 and welcome to the forum! :wave:

I’d be glad to answer your questions here, but you might also find some good help on Discord if I don’t know something. Be careful of scammers, though:

:warning: Warning: Telegram and Discord and other messaging platforms are a haven for people trying to scam you. Never give anybody your seed phrase or private key. Even support officials and admins will never ask for your seed phrase or private key. And never use a wallet app that you have not used before if somebody asks you to. They will fake a real wallet and use the fake wallet to steal all of your tokens.

Anyway, about your question!

The easiest way depends on how your tutorial had you start the validator. Did the tutorial have you setup systemd?

Either way, you can find out if the validator is running by running this command:

pidof solana-validator

If your validator is running it will print out a number like 121871, but it could be any number. This number is the process ID ( PID ) of the solana-validator program running on your server. If ther is no number output when you run that command, it means the validator is not running.

Depending on how you started your validator, you will have a log file somewhere that should tell you what your validator is doing, and if it isn’t running, it should tell you why the validator shutdown.

You can view the last 100 lines of the log file in your terminal by running this command:

tail --lines 100 /path/to/logfile.log